Curate your own museum and build an academic career in the shadows of the Rocky Mountains! This is a very cool opportunity for people with Ph.D.s in historic costume and textiles, anthropology, history, material culture, and/or museum studies. For the full job description and instructions for applying, click here. Here’s a little taste of what we’re looking for and who is eligible to apply:
Applications and nominations are invited for the Assistant Professor* tenure-track position of Curator of the Avenir Museum in the Department of Design and Merchandising at Colorado State University. This is a nine-month position with three months half-time summer salary. Salary and rank commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Breakdown of the job: 25% research, 30% teaching, and 45% service. (The service category includes all of the museum curation duties.)
Required Job Qualifications:
• Earned Ph.D. in historic costume and textiles, with a specialization in an area of the museum collection (e.g., 19th and 20th century garments, ethnographic textiles); or, in a related discipline such as anthropology, history, material culture studies, or museum studies;
• Academic credentials eligible for appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor;
• Post-secondary teaching experience;
• Record of research and scholarship;
• Curatorial experience in a professional or university museum setting;
• Physical capability to install exhibitions (physical strength and ability to use step ladder; set lighting; move exhibit platforms, mannequins, walls and vitrines; and lift minimum of 25 lbs.);
• Demonstrated potential for grantsmanship;
• Evidence of written excellent communication and team management skills;
• Evidence of contributions in areas of service and outreach within the Department, College, and University, and to the external community.
Check out the full job description and instructions for application. Think about it, and please circulate this announcement widely.
*When I Tweeted about this earlier this week, the job description was initially for an appointment at the Assistant or Associate Professor rank. It is in fact an Assistant Professor position only. I apologize for amplifying for the confusion.
2 thoughts on “Assistant Professor and Curator of the Avenir Museum, Colorado State University”
I can feel the dry, sweet, and temperate air emanating from the picture above, but alas, that would be about the only qualification I could offer–save maybe for lifting 25 pounds (on a good day). But the thought of the thing will make another sultry night under the East Coast “heat dome” more bearable. Thanks, Historiann, and I’m sure you’ll get tons of good apps.
I have 9 photos of Stapleton Airport in 1963. Would these be of interest to anyone?