I’ve been resisting writing a post like this, knowing that much of the eastern U.S. has been repeatedly hammered with snowstorms this winter. So if you’re housebound and don’t want to hear about L.A., then click away because SPOILER ALERT it’s been really, really nice here this winter. We spent President’s Day at the Santa Monica Pier. NOTE to all of our family from Massachusetts and Wisconsin who are visiting us in the spring instead: Why??? Why aren’t you here NOW? Only you can answer that question.
Some random observations:
- L.A. drivers are by and large quite skilled and very decent to one another. It’s true! Put a turn signal on, and at least eight or nine times out of ten, someone in the next lane will immediately yield and let you in.
- Another observation in favor of L.A. drivers: in spite of the traffic, NO ONE DRIVES IN THE BREAKDOWN LANE! This is a miracle, speaking as someone who used to live and drive in the Boston area. For realz. Related observation: when you see signs indicating that you’re losing a lane, people don’t drive up as far and as fast as they can and THEN merge; they tend to merge promptly and obediently, so YAY! L.A. drivers, I LOVE YOU!
- L.A. car culture is a thing. People here drive really nice cars. This weekend, I saw a Lamborghini, a Porsche, and a Mazerati in seriatum turn into a shopping center right next to me. (It was Orange County, FWIW.) People in Pasadena seem partial to the Tesla and the BMW (and the Porsche Cayenne, which is a “crossover” vehicle that looks like everyone else’s “crossover!” Come on. If you buy a Porsche, get something that looks like a Porsche, not something that looks like your carpool ride). Even the normal, not-insanely-expensive depreciating assets are really clean and well-maintained.
- WTF is it with all of the helicopters in the sky, all day long? Helicopters over the San Gabriel Valley, helicopters especially at the beach. Police helicopters! It’s like Baltimore after dark, ca. 1993 or something with all of the L.A.P.D. helicopters trolling up and down the beach. Again, I ask: WTF? How is this effective policing of anything?
- Is it just me, or does the Tesla sedan look almost exactly like the Hyundai Elantra? I’m not sayin’, I’m just sayin’. Compare below. Let me know if you’d like to order the stylized T hood ornament to pop on over the H on your car. I can get you a five-finger-plus-a-screwdriver discount!